How Diet Contributes to a Whiter Smile
Everyone wishes for a whiter smile. While it may seem like an unattainable goal, it’s actually very easy to make small changes that can improve your smile. Most of the time, yellow teeth stem simply from the diet and lifestyle you adhere to.
Here are some things that can turn your teeth an unsavory color:
- Tobacco: Tobacco users almost always have bad breath and poor teeth! Users of tobacco products are also at high risk for gum disease, which can also cause halitosis and yellow teeth.
- Beverages: Certain sugary drinks can turn your smile from white to yellow. If you’re trying to improve your smile, you may want to avoid drinks like coffee, soda, or tea
- Food: Certain diets can affect the hue of your teeth. Eat candy sparingly, and be aware of the sugar content of things like bread, desserts, and other foods.
- Poor Dental Hygiene: A very basic cause of yellowing teeth is usually just a lack of proper dental care. Always remember to brush your teeth in the mornings and at night, and after meals. It’s also helpful to floss at least once a day, if not twice.
Treatments for a Whiter Smile
- Milk: Milk is full of calcium that strengthens your bones, and your teeth! It can contribute to a whiter smile. If you are lactose-intolerant, try a daily vitamin containing calcium.
- Kick Tobacco to the Curb: There are so many reasons to quit tobacco products, and now is the best time to start. Tobacco affects your lungs, your throat, and your breath. Quitting can only improve your health!
- Swap Mints for Gum: After dinner mints may seem like a good idea, but mints are full of sugar, where bacteria thrives. Substitute the mints for sugar-free gum, a much better alternative to improve your smile.
At South Holston Dental Designs, we offer both take home whitening with custom trays or chairside whitening for a brighter, whiter smile. For really stubborn teeth we have a product called Kor Whitening which can usually whiten even the deepest of stained teeth (including tetracycline staining).
For your convenience, we are located in Bristol, Virginia just seconds from I-81 and we also offer many financial options.
So what are you waiting for?
Contact us today to get started because we care about your smile!