Root Canal Treatment
If you’ve ever had a toothache, you know how much they can impact your normal daily activities, such as eating and speaking. Oftentimes, oral pain is a sign that an area of your mouth is unhealthy and needs professional dental treatment. In many cases, root canal therapy is the best way to relieve dental pain and restore the health of an infected tooth. Check out these facts about how a root canal treatment could help you restore the health and comfort of your smile.
When Do You Need a Root Canal?
A root canal treatment involves cleaning out the decayed or infected area of the hollow space in a tooth’s root. Your dentist may recommend that you undergo a root canal treatment if you have:
- Severe tooth decay
- Deep fractures or cracks within the tooth
- A tooth injury
- An infected or abscessed tooth
Most patients who receive root canal therapy experience significant pain and tenderness from the infected tooth. If you have severe discomfort when eating, drinking, speaking, or cleaning your teeth, it’s important to seek professional dental care sooner rather than later. Infected teeth will not resolve on their own and will only become more painful and complicated over time if left untreated.
What to Expect From a Root Canal Treatment
While root canal treatments have gotten a bad rap for being particularly painful or scary, they really aren’t. Here’s what you can expect from your root canal treatment:
- The dentist will numb the infected area of your mouth completely.
- A protective covering with be placed over the tooth to separate it from the surrounding teeth.
- A small hole will be made in the tooth to clean out the decay and infection.
- The remaining hole will be dried and filled with a temporary filling before a permanent crown, filling, or bridge can be placed.
At South Holston Dental Designs, our experienced dental team is committed to offering compassionate, professional care to each patient we encounter. If you are experiencing dental pain from an infected tooth, contact us today to schedule your free consultation and see if a root canal treatment could be an option to restore the health and comfort of your smile.